Monday, October 29, 2012

60 years of wisdom

   My father-in-law has been alive on this earth for 60 years now! He was born during a very difficult time in Korea's history. And he's had a pretty difficult life with generally not the greatest luck. But despite the tough times, he's a very happy man; he loves his wife, both of his children are married, and he's got a granddaughter (it's not me and Jinny's haha, it's Jinny's brother's).
   Jinny and I took a trip down south to one of the lower provinces in Korea to visit and join in on her dad's 60th birthday celebration. We had a nice fancy meal. Dad was sitting across from me at the table and I specifically remember one moment when we just looked at each other...we couldn't say anything because he doesn't know English and my Korean is aweful...but we just couldn't help but smile at each other, so much so that we both blushed and cracked up, looking away. 
   After the meal I got a chance to ask him to share some wisdom. He told me (thanks to Jinny's translation): 
  "Before you make any decision in life or say any word, take three seconds to think about it. Three seconds won't hurt you any, and it could really save you from making a poor decision or saying something you will later regret." 
   He also told me: 
   "Go have fun! Spend your money on traveling, on adventures. If you receive 100 dollars each month, save 10 dollars of it, and in just a little time you will have enough to take a trip. Don't wait until you are old, like me, to travel, because traveling at this age is not easy."
   Thanks for the wise words, Dad. Happy birthday!
  After the birthday dinner/party Jinny, Mom, Dad, and I went to see a movie at the theater; Dad really loves a good action movie. Exiting the elevator to buy our movie tickets he grabbed my hand and we walked together, hand-in-hand (Korean manly style), through the lobby, a picturesque father/son moment. Good times with my Korean family.

Jinny, Mom, Dad, Sihyun (niece), and Me on a polaroid

No comments: